Tuesday 7 July 2015

Personal Style & Fashion Icons

When it comes to finding your own 'style' it can be a difficult task, trust me I know, but I've come up with a few things to think of if you're trying to really pinpoint your style and maybe even invest in a whole new wardrobe. 

I'd suggest finding a few people, celebrities, friends or anyone really, whose style you really love; for me those are Gigi Hadid, Hannah from A Fashion Fix, Kendall Kenner and Kim Kardashian along with a whole host of other bloggers and celebs. Now there isn't really a set style that all these people share but I love different parts of how they dress and combined, it forms the type of style I like to wear, for example I love Kim K's casual looks and I try to incorporate this into my style alongside more smarter element that Hannah and Kendall have to their style. 



GET THE BASICS RIGHT
I suggest you build a good basics wardrobe to begin with and then add key pieces around that. The basics I like are:
  • leather/faux leather jacket
  • plain tees (white, black, grey)
  • button down shirt
  • denim shirt
  • oversized knit
  • striped tee
  • dark and light blue and black jeans
  • boyfriend jeans
  • black blazer
  • oversized coat
  • black boots
  • loafers

Basics should be items that will never go out of style and therefore can be worn season after season. You could spend a bit more on these particular items as they aren't just trend pieces that eventually will go out of style/season. I get a lot of my basics from H&M, Zara, ASOS and Topshop. 
*bold items are my ultimate basics


TREND PIECES
Trend pieces are those items that usually come into fashion for one or two seasons and then slowly begin to fizzle away. Obviously you can wear what you like so these can be transitioned all year round but they may be less readily available out of season. The current trends I've noticed are:
  • suede
  • 70s inspired - flares, fringing etc
  • bare shoulders
  • lace up flats/platforms
  • lace up details
  • bomber jackets
  • double denim (this is pretty much all year round)
  • mirrored sunglasses
  • white lace
  • mules
  • military hints
  • over-the-knee boots

*bold items are my favourite trends


HAIR/MAKEUP
You hair and makeup can really change the vibe of any outfit and can completely change the style you're going for. My everyday makeup is pretty minimal with a a light base, a few layers of mascara and a nude lip. For hair I like to either keep it straight or give it some loose curls that tend to look more waved the next day, in both a middle or a side part depending on the current state of my hair (root problems)! If you're going for the boho style for example, keeping your hair loose with beach waves will really accentuate, while a bold pink lip and a low pony can work better for a more flirty, girly style.

Check out my pinterest boards for more hair/beauty inspiration. 

Along with all of these things, you also need to consider your body shape and height as these play a huge factor is what will suit you. Some styles and fits lend themselves better to curvier figures while others look better on slimmer or taller frames. That's not to say that you can't wear those flared jeans if you're 5ft2, you just have to make them work for you by pairing them with platforms, or that you can't rock that lac dress if you have a curvier figure. Just wear what you feel comfortable in and adapt each piece to suit you figure and personal style. 

The best thing to remember is that style is a very personal thing and you just need to have fun with it and not worry so much about keeping up with what the latest trends say you should be wearing. Have fun with it and discover you own personal style, I know I'm still in the process of figuring mine out!

2 comments:

  1. Such a great post, I really enjoyed reading it! I also love the style of the celebrities and bloggers you featured, they're some of my favourites. Something I love to do to find style inspiration is look through Pinterest or Sassique as they always have great street style shots!

    Freya | freya-ella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I love Pinterest too, haven't heard of Sassique but might have to give it a look!

      Delete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to comment! I love reading comments :)
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, then feel free to tweet me @iamEmmaWilde.

Have a lovely day! xo